Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Todays manifesto




To be clear, it is not that I hate cars, it is just that I feel better when they are not around.

I will not own another car until they come out with one that does not use Gas and one we can afford. I was told today by an auto industry inside( a sister in law of a top exec of a major auto company) that they have a Water based fuel engine, but cannot figure out how to make money from it. Wankers.
I have been carfree since June. This is my second time carfree, first time was from 2001 to 2004. I then became carlite from 2004 until June of 2009.

I do believe the world would be a better place if everybody walked, rode bicycles, and used mass transit for transportation. I am not going to try to sell you that idea, even a hamster knows the benefits of wheels and walking.

I am going tell you what it is like to be and feel a carfree American.

Generally cars and Americans go together like baseball and hot dogs, but carfree and American
that is sort of a oxymoron.
I know, if I lived in a big city it would not be a big deal to be carfree, or maybe college, but I don't do those, I live in a suburb where carfree is a oddity. Prairie Village is car centric. Few bike lanes, crap sidewalks, no public transportation.

I am alone on the streets and sidewalks most of the time. Alone in my carfree lifestyle, alone in walking and cycling for transportation. I am to most people an oddity, but I feel strong. I am a carfree American.

2 comments:

  1. I generally ride from midtown to my head doctor on State Line by the PV Hy-Vee. You're right, it is car-centric. I have often felt very frightened of the vehicles when riding there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live overseas in a country where gasoline is basically free. Cars are everywhere. It sucks! A lot of people, mostly the poor, depend on ratty buses or beater cars to get from point A to B. Its not a perfect system and it could be better (electric buses, clean buses, safe from robbery buses). I have a car here, but it is now old and beat. The 3rd world roads have taken its toll. More and more I am becoming Car-lite. I like it.
    In my hometown in the USA, I rent a car for the month that I am there. I don't use the car much in town, but use my bicycles instead. The car is used for the longer distances needed to cross the state (New Mexico...very big place with big gaps between towns).
    Car technology is changing. In the next 5 years we will see electric cars that are affordable to the average middle class Joe. That'll be a step in the right direction.
    Hats off to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete